x
 
Marv's Weather Service
Marv's Daily Virtual Buoy Reports
Marv's Tropical Weather Report
 
 
 
Marv's Daily Virtual Buoy Reports
Florida - West Coast  US East Coast - South US East Coast - North Bahamas - Abacos  Near Bahamas 
Far Bahamas Eastern Caribbean St Thomas to Trinidad inland waters Cuba and South
Okeechobee Waterway Crossing - Gulf of Mexico Crossing - to the Bahamas
 Bahamas Application to Import Pets Southwinds article Reports - Main Menu
Gulf of Mexico Crossing Options
by Marv’s Weather Service
updated - 2020-04-04th at 11:00 pm

 

One Day Crossing Option
example - leave Apalachicola or Carrabelle just after first light and get to Clearwater or Tarpon Springs before dark .. 
 
weather windows at this time ..

Monday the 06th - at this time with winds/gusts from 3 to 12 mph and wave heights from 1.2 to 1.7 plus feet and a per of 3 to 4 .. the seas will be a little bumpy but very doable .. looking like a GOOD window for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Tuesday the 07th - at this time with winds/gusts from 1 to 10 mph and wave heights from 0.9 to 1.4 feet and a per of 4 to 5 .. the seas will be a little bumpy but very doable .. looking like a GOOD window for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Wednesday the 08th - at this time with winds/gusts from 10 to 18 mph and wave heights from 1.2 to 3.5 feet and a per of 3 to 4 .. the seas will be very lumpy/bumpy but doable for some .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Thursday the 09th - at this time with winds/gusts from 16 to 19 mph and wave heights from 3.5 to 4.0 feet and a per of 4 to 5  .. the seas will be very lumpy/bumpy but doable for some .. UFFDA .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Friday the 10th - at this time with winds/gusts from 2 to 20 mph and wave heights from 1.4 to 3.8 feet and a per of 4 to 5 .. the seas will be very lumpy/bumpy but doable for some .. UFFDA .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Saturday the 11th - at this time with winds/gusts from 10 to 16 mph and wave heights from 1.3 to 1.9 plus feet and a per of 3 to 3 .. the seas will be bumpy but doable .. looking like a real GOOD day for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Sunday the 12th - at this time with winds/gusts from 11 to 22 mph and wave heights from 2.7 to 3.8 feet and a per of 4 to 5 .. the seas will be a little bumpy but doable .. looking like a real GOOD day for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

note - once you picked a weather window that you and your crew are OK with you should then due diligence and complete your before your crossing check list ..  then in the morning of your weather window check the ‘local’ weather one more time for any changes (isolated storm cells etc) .. once you do stick your bow out if you feel that the conditions are still ok for your boat and crew go for it .. if the conditions are NOT OK you should return and start planning for the next weather window ..

.

for wind direction, wind speed, wave heights, wave direction and wave periods ..

for Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs/Clearwater - use our Dog Island and our Carrabella to Clearwater upper and lower buoy reports .. see our buoy reports ..

 

Two Day (overnight) Option 
example - leave Apalachicola or Carrabelle to time your arrival the next day at Clearwater or Tarpon Springs in daylight ..
 
weather windows at this time ..

Monday the 06th - at this time with winds/gusts from 3 to 12 mph and wave heights from 1.2 to 1.7 plus feet and a per of 3 to 4 .. the seas will be a little bumpy but very doable .. looking like a GOOD window for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Tuesday the 07th - at this time with winds/gusts from 1 to 10 mph and wave heights from 0.9 to 1.4 feet and a per of 4 to 5 .. the seas will be a little bumpy but very doable .. looking like a GOOD window for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Wednesday the 08th - at this time with winds/gusts from 10 to 18 mph and wave heights from 1.2 to 3.5 feet and a per of 3 to 4 .. the seas will be very lumpy/bumpy but doable for some .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Thursday the 09th - at this time with winds/gusts from 16 to 19 mph and wave heights from 3.5 to 4.0 feet and a per of 4 to 5  .. the seas will be very lumpy/bumpy but doable for some .. UFFDA .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Friday the 10th - at this time with winds/gusts from 2 to 20 mph and wave heights from 1.4 to 3.8 feet and a per of 4 to 5 .. the seas will be very lumpy/bumpy but doable for some .. UFFDA .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Saturday the 11th - at this time with winds/gusts from 10 to 16 mph and wave heights from 1.3 to 1.9 plus feet and a per of 3 to 3 .. the seas will be bumpy but doable .. looking like a real GOOD day for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Sunday the 12th - at this time with winds/gusts from 11 to 22 mph and wave heights from 2.7 to 3.8 feet and a per of 4 to 5 .. the seas will be a little bumpy but doable .. looking like a real GOOD day for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

note - once you picked a weather window that you and your crew are OK with you should then due diligence and complete your before your crossing check list ..  then in the morning of your weather window check the ‘local’ weather one more time for any changes (isolated storm cells etc) .. once you do stick your bow out if you feel that the conditions are still ok for your boat and crew go for it .. if the conditions are NOT OK you should return and start planning for the next weather window ..

.

for wind direction, wind speed, wave heights, wave direction and wave periods ..

for Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs/Clearwater - use our Dog Island and our Carrabella to Clearwater upper and lower buoy reports .. see our buoy reports ..

 
Rim Route Option 
example - can be a two or three day route ..
leg A - Carrabelle to Steinhatchee .. example of route
leg B - Steinhatchee to Crystal River .. example of route
leg C - Crystal River to Tarpon Springs .. example of route
.
weather windows at this time ..

Monday the 06th - at this time with winds/gusts from 3 to 12 mph and wave heights from 1.2 to 1.7 plus feet and a per of 3 to 4 .. the seas will be a little bumpy but very doable .. looking like a GOOD window for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Tuesday the 07th - at this time with winds/gusts from 1 to 10 mph and wave heights from 0.9 to 1.4 feet and a per of 4 to 5 .. the seas will be a little bumpy but very doable .. looking like a GOOD window for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Wednesday the 08th - at this time with winds/gusts from 10 to 18 mph and wave heights from 1.2 to 3.5 feet and a per of 3 to 4 .. the seas will be very lumpy/bumpy but doable for some .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Thursday the 09th - at this time with winds/gusts from 16 to 19 mph and wave heights from 3.5 to 4.0 feet and a per of 4 to 5  .. the seas will be very lumpy/bumpy but doable for some .. UFFDA .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Friday the 10th - at this time with winds/gusts from 2 to 20 mph and wave heights from 1.4 to 3.8 feet and a per of 4 to 5 .. the seas will be very lumpy/bumpy but doable for some .. UFFDA .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Saturday the 11th - at this time with winds/gusts from 10 to 16 mph and wave heights from 1.3 to 1.9 plus feet and a per of 3 to 3 .. the seas will be bumpy but doable .. looking like a real GOOD day for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

Sunday the 12th - at this time with winds/gusts from 11 to 22 mph and wave heights from 2.7 to 3.8 feet and a per of 4 to 5 .. the seas will be a little bumpy but doable .. looking like a real GOOD day for the crossing .. with this if you feel that your boat and crew are able to safely handle these conditions you may want to pick a day and stick your bow out .. otherwise we recommend waiting for the next weather window .. see our buoy reports ..

.

note - once you picked a weather window that you and your crew are OK with you should then due diligence and complete your before your crossing check list ..  then in the morning of your weather window check the ‘local’ weather one more time for any changes (isolated storm cells etc) .. once you do stick your bow out if you feel that the conditions are still ok for your boat and crew go for it .. if the conditions are NOT OK you should return and start planning for the next weather window ..

.

for wind direction, wind speed, wave heights, wave direction and wave periods ..

for Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs/Clearwater - use our Dog Island and our Carrabella to Clearwater upper and lower buoy reports .. see our buoy reports ..

 

Galveston to Key West Crossing Option ..
example - cruise from Galveston to Key West or Key West to Galveston .. 
.
note - we have 4 buoy reports for the Galveston to Key West crossing or Key West to Galveston crossing .. they are ..
Galveston TX (off shore) - Lat 29.3 / Lon -94.5
Key West to Houston (north) - Lat 27.6 / Lon 91.4
Key West to Houston (south) - Lat 25.5/ Lon -86.0
Key West to Fort Jefferson/Dry Tortugas - Lat 24.5 / Lon -82.0
you can find all 4 on our Florida - West Coast webpage ..
.
weather windows at this time ..
at this time we recommend watching our four buoy reports for a window that looks like it will work for you, your boat and your crew .. once you have picked a weather window that you and your crew are OK with you should then due diligence and complete your before your crossing check list ..  then in the morning of your weather window check the ‘local’ weather one more time for any changes (isolated storm cells etc) .. once you do stick your bow out if you feel that the conditions are still ok for your boat and crew go for it .. if the conditions are NOT OK you should return and start planning for the next weather window ..
.
note - feel free to contact us at anytime if you would like any additional advice on this crossing ..
.
for wind direction, wind speed, wave heights, wave direction and wave periods ..
for Galveston to Key West - use our Galveston TX (off shore) and our Key West to Houston (north) and our Key West to Houston (south) and our Key West to Fort Jefferson/Dry Tortugas buoy reports

 

all options ..
before your crossing - always watch the ‘local’ weather for any local storm cells that may pop up .. do a final weather check before you head out .. ie local TV, WeatherBug, etc .. once you are underway if you feel it it is too rough you can always turn around and head back .. much better than getting beat up .. 
before your crossing - always check out other weather websites ..
NOAA - https://www.noaa.gov
MarineWeather - https://marineweather.net
capeweather - https://www.capeweather.com/marine-forecast.html
WindFinder - https://www.windfinder.com/
Windy - https://www.windy.com/?26.608,-81.694,5
Buoyweather - http://www.buoyweather.com/
Marine Weather Center - Chris Parker - https://www.mwxc.com
PassageWeather - https://www.passageweather.com
WeatherBug - https://www.weatherbug.com
.
rent an EPIRB or PLB - https://www.boatus.org/epirb/rentals/
.
float plan - establish a float plan .. before you head out execute your float plan .. example http://floatplancentral.cgaux.org/download/USCGFloatPlan.pdf ..
before your crossing - starting about two weeks before your anticipated crossing we recommend that you start watching our buoy weather crossing reports looking for weather trends etc and for planning the timing of your anticipated arrival at the Apalachicola / Carrabelle area .. 
.
the morning of your crossing - check the ‘local’ weather one more time for any changes (isolated storm cells etc) .. and then you will be ready to stick your bow out .. if you feel that the conditions are ok for your boat and crew go for it .. if the conditions are NOT ok you can return and start planning for the next weather window ..
.
definition
significant wave height - most all professional forecasts use 'significant wave height' .. it is the average of the one-third highest waves thus about half the waves will be bigger and half smaller .. the statistical distribution of wave heights follows a Poisson distribution (ie .. not a normal or "bell" curve) .. 10% of waves will be about 10% higher or more .. 1% of waves will be 50% higher or more .. 0.1% of waves will be 85% higher or more .. those numbers are for off shore locations .. in shallow waters the really big waves cannot develop ..” 
bumpy - wave heights above 1 foot to 2.5 feet ..
very bumpy - wave heights 2.5 feet to 3.5 feet ..
lumpy - same as bumpy except for a longer ‘per’ .. ie less chop and more rollers ..
doable - if the size and type of your craft is able to handle the wave heights and if your crew can handle the craft the seas will be doable ..
.
subscribe - if you are not getting our buoy weather reports via email you can subscribe for our free weather service by just click on this link .. “subscribe ” .. 
.
contact info
Marv Market - Marv’s Weather Service
2350 West First Street - unit 604
Fort Myers, Florida 33901 
cell - 239-560-1166
website - www.marvsweather.com 
website - www.deelightwebsite.com

 

 
contact us
areas of coverage
Marv's tropical weather reports
Marv's Weather Service - home page
disclaimer - Marv's Weather Service (Marv and Carol Market) offers the details of these Offshore Buoy Reports, Tropical Weather Reports, and Maritime Forecasts as a  good faith public service for boaters and boating enthusiasts on a volunteer basis but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of of any fitness of seaworthiness of any vessel nor the competency of any captain, crew of any vessel nor the safety of any passengers or crew. The "forecasts" or predictions are compiled from many resources and neither Marv Market, Carol Market, nor Marv's Weather Service hold themselves out to anyone to be experts in weather forecasting nor to warranty or guarantee any weather condition nor safe passage of any vessel, crew or passengers.  It is the responsibility of every captain or person using this information to make informed decisions for official sources and resources in contemplating the safety of any voyage, the sea worthiness of their vessel, and their abilities to safely embark on any voyage.  
end